- Medical Malpractice
- Hospital Litigation
- University of Kentucky, B.A., 2001
- summa cum laude
- Departmental Honors
- Vanderbilt University, J.D., 2004
- Dean's List, 2004
- Journal of Entertainment Law & Practice
- Tennessee, 2004
- U.S. District Court, Western, Eastern and Middle Districts of Tennessee
- Kentucky, 2012
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Nashville Bar Association
- American Bar Association
Chris has been representing health care providers and entities since 2004 in a wide variety of matters. He has represented the largest health care companies in the world, medical groups and clinics across the state, and individual physicians from Bristol to Memphis, in virtually all types of matters in federal court, state court, and administrative tribunals. He is also licensed in Kentucky and regularly represents health care providers in South Central and Western Kentucky. Clients trust Chris with matters from the most complex to the most simple.
Chris has extensive experience defending hospitals, physicians, and other health care providers in virtually all kinds of professional negligence cases, from pre-suit investigation through trial and appeal. He has represented health care companies and providers in disputes with federal agencies, state boards, and insurance companies. He has successfully represented parties on both sides of peer review matters “ the physician side and the hospital side.
Chris has special interest and experience representing health care providers in the most complex of cases, including multi-district litigation and complex birth injury litigation. He has defended birth injury cases in a dozen counties and three different states.
Chris has actively participated in almost a dozen health care-related jury trials and administrative trials, including over a half-dozen complex multi-week trials. He has successfully argued appellate matters to Tennessee's state courts of appeals and to the federal Sixth Circuit.
Chris also has handled general commercial litigation matters, some as local counsel, including arbitration of a commercial dispute between an auto dealer and auto manufacturer and acting as local counsel for a cargo transit company. Chris has successfully handled personal injury cases on behalf of injured persons.
Chris prides himself on being a smart and creative advocate through tireless work and staying up-to-date on all matters related to his practice.
Outside the office, Chris enjoys all sports, particularly college football and college basketball and spending time with his family.
Honors and Awards
- SuperLawyers Rising Star, 2015-present
- Best Lawyers in America (Health Care), 2015-present
- Best Lawyers in America (Medical Malpractice - Defendants), 2016-present
- Martindale-Hubbell AV preeminent rating, 2014-present
- National Association of Distinguished Counsel, 2016-present (Awarded to Top 1% of Attorneys)
- Causation in Medical Malpractice Cases, CLE Presentation, June 29, 2016
- 2016 Annual Medical Malpractice Conference, Featured Presenter and Panel Participant, May 13, 2016
- 2015 Annual Personal Injury Conference, Featured Presenter, September 25, 2015 (presentation on health care liability)
- Health Care Liability: Latest Developments in Tennessee, CLE Presentation, April 9, 2015
- Panel Participant and Featured Presenter at 2014 Tennessee Medical Malpractice Conference, May 9, 2014
- Medical Malpractice in Tennessee: Where We Stand in 2013, CLE Presentation, September 24, 2013
- Medico-Legal Issues, Presentation to VUMC Emergency Medicine Residents, March 19, 2013
- Filing Your Medical Malpractice Case: It's Not as Easy as It Used to Be!, CLE Presentation, August 18, 2010
- 2016 Annual Conference for Tennessee Practitioners, Featured Speaker on HIPAA, November 17, 2016
- How to Get Your Social Media, Email and Text Evidence Admitted (and Keep Theirs Out), Featured Speaker on ESI and Ethics for Two Sessions, December 16, 2016
- Effective Depositions of Expert Witnesses, CLE Presentation to Young Lawyers Division, April 6, 2017
- Using Medical Records in Health Care Liability Lawsuits, CLE Presentation at the Annual Tennessee Medical Malpractice Conference, May 5, 2017
- Panel Moderator, May 5, 2017, Annual Tennessee Medical Malpractice Conference.
- CLE Presentation, As Judges See It: Top Mistakes Attorneys Make in Civil Litigation, December 8, 2017 (moderator of panel of judges).
- Pro Bono cases “ regular pro bono representation of low-income Nashville residents (2004-present)
- Pro Bono monthly legal clinic “ volunteer at monthly walk-in legal clinic (2004-present)
- Flood Relief Pro Bono Clinic “ volunteer at walk-in clinic after historic May 2010 flood (2010)
- Davidson County Mock Trial “ volunteer judge and scorer at Davidson County high school mock trial tournament (2004-present)
- Vanderbilt Mock Trial “ volunteer judge at Vanderbilt mock trial (2011-14)
- Vanderbilt University Law School Moot Court “ volunteer judge at VULS moot court competitions (2004-present)
- Compounding Pharmacies: A Changing Legal Environment, Quarterly Newsletter, Vol. 13, Issue 3, 2014